thf party leveling

Moderator: Moderator

SewingMachine

thf party leveling

Post by SewingMachine » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:58 pm

I was just getting back into FFXI and was trying to think of what job I wanted to main. I was looking around the forums and keep finding tier lists like this
. . .
1) 100% legit, knowledgeable, non-afk, non-dual boxed White Mages
2) BRD or COR
3) Tanks like PLD, NIN
4) Any other class
5) THF
. . .

I was just wondering if I did main thf would it really be a problem leveling, I really dont want to get to like 40's or so and be looking for a party for like 3 hrs. I find that I can only play in like 2 hour bursts or so. If this is a problem I will just pick another job to level.

Empire

Re: thf party leveling

Post by Empire » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:19 am

You will have to make your own parties a majority of the time. It's a sad reality, but it's true. So many people level thief because of the money-making potential, that not only do you compete with a ton of other people, you usually aren't as effective as a straight-up melee like DRG or SAM (especially on colibris).

That doesn't mean it's impossible. I prefer to make my parties most of the time anyways, and after you do it a few times you'll get good at it and end up making some really good EXP. Just be prepared that this is most likely going to be your life as THF, particularly in the latter levels.

As an aside - THF at low levels after you get Sneak Attack, with a sword & Fast Blade, is unbelievably OP. It just tends to trail off in EXP parties compared to other jobs at higher levels.

Veikuri

Post by Veikuri » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:55 pm

For leveling?

Tier list would look something like this:

1) RDM, BRD, COR
2), NIN, WHM
4) PLD
3) DDs

An ideal party would look something like [RDM, BRD, BRD or COR, DDx3] or [RDM or WHM, BRD or COR, PLD or NIN, DDx3]

Thieves get a bad reputation because its not as brain dead as the other DD classes that don't care about mob placement, hate, or having multiple weapons. Thief is a very misleading job for most because daggers suck ass until 32/33, not many know about using marksmanship, and most parties rather not set up SATAing. The job is actually very good in this climate because of piercing being good against a lot of camps. It's just most Thieves just suck.

Empire

Post by Empire » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:39 pm

Veikuri wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:55 pm
set up SATAing
This is why Assassin at 60 is an absolute GODSEND

serephim

Post by serephim » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:01 pm

It's tough to get parties as THF because everyone and their mother is leveling it for TH farming.
So you have to deal with a ton of competition and people generally don't want more than 1 per party.
Where as a job like WAR, DRG, SAM, RNG.... You can't really have too many of those.