The recent Spirit Link nerf feels like shit

Moderator: Moderator

gweivyth

Re: The recent Spirit Link nerf feels like shit

Post by gweivyth » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:03 pm

Rori wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:39 pm
Do you mean spirit surge? I'm not even seeing anything that says spirit link should return TP to the dragoon to begin with.

Also, it looks like one of the things causing Dragoon to be super mode right now is it has 2014 changes to the Wyvern, allowing it to level up and grant increased atk and job haste to the Dragoon that it shouldn't be receiving.
Even leveling up is a 2008 change that wyverns shouldn't have.
I've noticed the level up text but I've never observed any difference between the "leveled up" Wyvern and a fresh Wyvern, so I don't think it's granting any type of bonus. Might just be cosmetic.
Gweivyth.//
  • 75 WAR, MNK, PLD, THF, DRG, WHM
  • Bonecraft 100+2
  • Leathercraft 60
  • Clothcraft 82+2
New and need some friends? Join Skyward!

Rori

Post by Rori » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:16 am

Naw, something is definitely powering up Dragoon more than it should be. I'm adaberk kclub warrior approaching BIS (I dont have a lot of the HQs, but i've got basically every HNM drop there is and even a couple of them HQ'd) and a much less geared Dragoon was parsing within 2-3% of me when doing Rostrum NMs. If you factor in Jumps not being parsed & Wyvern damage, they were outdpsing me in an extended TP burn, which absolutely should not be happening.

But would easily be explained by permament 10% job haste and +20% atk from out of era enhancements.

gweivyth

Post by gweivyth » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:01 pm

Rori wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:16 am
Naw, something is definitely powering up Dragoon more than it should be. I'm adaberk kclub warrior approaching BIS (I dont have a lot of the HQs, but i've got basically every HNM drop there is and even a couple of them HQ'd) and a much less geared Dragoon was parsing within 2-3% of me when doing Rostrum NMs. If you factor in Jumps not being parsed & Wyvern damage, they were outdpsing me in an extended TP burn, which absolutely should not be happening.

But would easily be explained by permament 10% job haste and +20% atk from out of era enhancements.
I mean yeah maybe. Here's the current version from BGWiki.

Code: Select all

The wyvern caps levels after 1,000 EXP.
For example 4/5 empathy will level the wyvern up four times in one Spirit Link.
Everytime the wyvern levels up it will receive a 4% attack and defense boost and the Dragoon will receive a 2% Job Ability Haste and a
Attack and defense boost cap at 20%
Haste caps at 10% after 5 wyvern levels.
If the wyvern is defeated/dismissed, the Dragoon zones, or enters or starts any instance then these buffs are removed from the Dragoon.
So yeah, maybe. Is job haste exempt from the haste cap? If it is, that's insanely busted. If not, maybe this change is worth tuning but not completely doing away with. Dragoon in exp right now doesn't feel busted at all, it's pretty on par with the other jobs. Granted, I'm only 53 so maybe it gets more insane the higher you go, but I can't imagine it changes much past this point, right?
Gweivyth.//
  • Bonecraft 100+2
  • Leathercraft 60
  • Clothcraft 82+2

gweivyth

Post by gweivyth » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:31 pm

Well, I'm 64 now. And I've got to say, this job feels a lot more disgusting the higher I go. I've been in a bunch of parties over the last few days and I've parsed 45%+ of the party damage using Deeps consistently in every one except for ones with other DRGs in them. (Which doesn't even account for Wyvern damage...) Nothing even comes close, not polearm SAMs, no flavor of WAR, no DRKs, nothing. I guess it could be undergeared players, but nobody that I saw was so grossly undergeared that I should be THAT far ahead.

In the parties where there were other DRGs, we were both doing MUCH more damage than the other players. We would usually run neck-and-neck even despite gear differences.

That being said, it's got to be a job trait. Usually when you outgear people, you can see a pretty wide margin if you're the same job. This didn't seem to be the case. I was against one guy who was wearing a Brigadine in his 60s and a NQ Snipers, Optical and Cassie, etc...I have Speed Belt, Scorpion Harness, HQ Snipers, Merman's, etc...and we were still within 5%~ of each other.

Spirit Link definitely needs to be looked at for sure. I'm hoping that it doesn't and we just keep it the way that it is, but that's for my own greedy reasons.
Gweivyth.//
  • Bonecraft 100+2
  • Leathercraft 60
  • Clothcraft 82+2

Caelic

Post by Caelic » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:23 am

gweivyth wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:31 pm
Well, I'm 64 now. And I've got to say, this job feels a lot more disgusting the higher I go.

It's got to be a job trait
It actually truly is the absolute most broken job in EXP right now. As far as I can tell, it's not a job trait. There's actually a bug right now where you get Empathy at level 75 without having any merits in it (it's supposed to be gained from the merit only) but you don't have it when lower level or synced down below 75.

Honestly, I think the issue is that the popular EXP spots are pretty much all mobs take 1.25x damage from piercing. The premier ways to deal piercing damage in FFXI is either with a ranged attack or a polearm... and ranged attacks have been nerfed into the trash pretty much. So who can use a polearm? #1 is DRG at A+ and runner up is... SAM at B-. That is a major, major gap, and it only gets worse going down the list.

On top of this is Jump. A Spear (lv24) attacks every 6.6 seconds which is about 9 attacks per minute. If you Jump every minute you are increasing that from 9 to 10 per minute... that's basically the same as getting an 11% haste. If you have both Jump and High Jump (2m cooldown) that goes to 17% and it gets even better the higher your delay is (ex: your two jumps give you basically a 20% haste with an Ice Lance (Lv 74)). This isn't even considering the fact that on average, a Jump does slightly higher damage than an auto-attack (the actual damage is based on your VIT).

tl;dr combination of A+ polearm where no other job can compete in, jumps being just really good, wyvern is free damage, and the fact that RNG was put into the bin

I'm a 75DRG and I'm saying this: if RNG got gutted you may as well gut DRG now because without RNG around, DRG becomes a serious outlier... and in return (segue into the actual topic of the thread) gib back old spirit link pls it was really fun
A bird's trust is not in the branch.