subjob for DRG

Moderator: Moderator

SewingMachine

subjob for DRG

Post by SewingMachine » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:41 pm

I started to level up DRG/WAR and having a blast in dunes blowing up flies. But in the future for soloing and farming I should be leveling /THF and /WHM ? I already started to lvl WHM some but its painful the first 10lvls.
Question: What common subs do you use for DRG ? I was thinking /WAR /THF /WHM.

BengtJonssonJr

Re: subjob for DRG

Post by BengtJonssonJr » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:29 pm

I don't play DRG but my friend who does highly recommends /SAM in PT and /BLU solo. I imagine/NIN isn't bad for DRG just like on most DDs depending on the situation?

demi

Post by demi » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:00 pm

/WAR - Great for exp parties early and mid levels, performs exceptionally in parties that can manage hate really well even in later levels due to the sheer power of Berserk and Double-attack. With the kind of damage you're doing later on, having a Thief in the party can really potentiate this subjob by pinning hate back on tank. You can not Super Jump *nearly* often enough to mitigate the damage you will take; throttling damage subverts the whole idea of going /WAR to begin with. Therefore, make sure party can accommodate this hefty loadout.

/SAM - You get access to Hasso at DRG50/SAM25 and Meditate at DRG60/SAM30 - while it lacks the sheer power of /WAR, it compensates with more weapon skills, the Hasso 2H buff, and it can also convert misses to hits with Zanshin. Put Third Eye up before you use a WS on a mob that likely has TP so that you can try and "anticipate" a physical TP if you pull hate. Weapon skills can help indirectly mitigate damage if you open for somebody else with a strong closer, so if that person is the tank or somebody else who is /NIN, you can flex that quite a bit. Or close if it would kill it, you don't have to worry about hate from a dead mob. (This is a fun, flexible sub that you really oughta consider leveling once you're in the 50+ range if you hadn't already: should be a fast one to level since SAM is also loved as melee DD in parties!)

/NIN - I haven't used this yet, but once I hit colibri parties I started being asked to come as this. Mission content may demand it as well. Thing is, while /NIN doesn't directly buff your offense, DRG is a bit strong right now and you can very easily pull hate anyway. I recently had a party where I had myself and another DRG come /SAM and due to a variety of factors, it became very clear that /NIN would have been better for both of us that time. I tried to argue myself out of "needing" /NIN when I leveled /SAM, but even within the scope of exp parties you'll want this on more than one occasion.

--

It'll be good to have a Mage sub for soloing or doing some non-exp adventuring. I can't speak to these in detail though as I haven't leveled any mage sub too high yet. I believe they are fairly useful in similar ways.
/WHM - straightforward, can proc healing breaths quickly and lay Protect down. Also later you could do like Divine Seal > Curaga > Super Jump in a pinch. Self sneak/invis!
/RDM - lots of shared benefits with WHM, Poison is a cheaper & faster proc spell for Breath however.
/BLU - not directly helpful to others around you, but Cocoon sky-rockets your defense and it also has cheap, fast, spells for Healing Breath. Lacks sneak/invis

As far as /THF goes, it doesn't offer nearly enough damage/utility in exp/dps settings to be lumped with the three melee subs above, but specifically for farming it's up to you how much time you want to put into it: THF15 is Treasure Hunter 1, THF25 is Flee, THF37 is mostly some extra stats. The main point is TH1 is the highest level you can get with Thief as a sub, so invest your time accordingly!

Enjoy DRG, i've had a lot of fun taking it as a first 75!

SewingMachine

Post by SewingMachine » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:02 am

demi wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:00 pm
/WAR - Great for exp parties early and mid levels, performs exceptionally in parties that can manage hate really well even in later levels due to the sheer power of Berserk and Double-attack. With the kind of damage you're doing later on, having a Thief in the party can really potentiate this subjob by pinning hate back on tank. You can not Super Jump *nearly* often enough to mitigate the damage you will take; throttling damage subverts the whole idea of going /WAR to begin with. Therefore, make sure party can accommodate this hefty loadout.

/SAM - You get access to Hasso at DRG50/SAM25 and Meditate at DRG60/SAM30 - while it lacks the sheer power of /WAR, it compensates with more weapon skills, the Hasso 2H buff, and it can also convert misses to hits with Zanshin. Put Third Eye up before you use a WS on a mob that likely has TP so that you can try and "anticipate" a physical TP if you pull hate. Weapon skills can help indirectly mitigate damage if you open for somebody else with a strong closer, so if that person is the tank or somebody else who is /NIN, you can flex that quite a bit. Or close if it would kill it, you don't have to worry about hate from a dead mob. (This is a fun, flexible sub that you really oughta consider leveling once you're in the 50+ range if you hadn't already: should be a fast one to level since SAM is also loved as melee DD in parties!)

/NIN - I haven't used this yet, but once I hit colibri parties I started being asked to come as this. Mission content may demand it as well. Thing is, while /NIN doesn't directly buff your offense, DRG is a bit strong right now and you can very easily pull hate anyway. I recently had a party where I had myself and another DRG come /SAM and due to a variety of factors, it became very clear that /NIN would have been better for both of us that time. I tried to argue myself out of "needing" /NIN when I leveled /SAM, but even within the scope of exp parties you'll want this on more than one occasion.

--

It'll be good to have a Mage sub for soloing or doing some non-exp adventuring. I can't speak to these in detail though as I haven't leveled any mage sub too high yet. I believe they are fairly useful in similar ways.
/WHM - straightforward, can proc healing breaths quickly and lay Protect down. Also later you could do like Divine Seal > Curaga > Super Jump in a pinch. Self sneak/invis!
/RDM - lots of shared benefits with WHM, Poison is a cheaper & faster proc spell for Breath however.
/BLU - not directly helpful to others around you, but Cocoon sky-rockets your defense and it also has cheap, fast, spells for Healing Breath. Lacks sneak/invis

As far as /THF goes, it doesn't offer nearly enough damage/utility in exp/dps settings to be lumped with the three melee subs above, but specifically for farming it's up to you how much time you want to put into it: THF15 is Treasure Hunter 1, THF25 is Flee, THF37 is mostly some extra stats. The main point is TH1 is the highest level you can get with Thief as a sub, so invest your time accordingly!

Enjoy DRG, i've had a lot of fun taking it as a first 75!
That was a 10/10 reply thanks !