How Does SMN Play in 75 Era?

Moderator: Moderator

demi

How Does SMN Play in 75 Era?

Post by demi » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:05 pm

Hello,

Summoner is a job that is hard not to love aesthetically. The avatars are all beautifully rendered, the AF set is spot-on, and the process of unlocking the summons is equally daunting and rewarding. I would accept it as a given that anybody who plays Summoner is at least a little captivated by its design!

I am interested in hearing a little bit about how it plays in various party setups in this era particularly. Are exp parties mostly using it as a WHM rep with a big MP pool? At what point, if any, does it change roles? What areas of the game may it flourish besides exp parties? Even when it is main-healing, is it usually appropriate to coordinate a chain / burst with a Blood Pact? Are Blood Pact CDs divided between Pact and Ward here? If you play the job for a significant amount of time, could you share what you like most about playing it?

Thank you for any and all responses!

Volkaru

Re: How Does SMN Play in 75 Era?

Post by Volkaru » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:57 am

The BPs are split into rage and ward. That was changed in 2006, so it's at Era.
The job can do a decent amount of damage in parties, especially around certain levels. 30 sees double punch, which can hit for 200+, 50 gets double slap, another string physical BP.
But it really shines as a support thanks to its unique buffs. Rolling thunder adds a HUGE amount of overall DPS In melee burns, especially if you have multiple dual wielders. In endgame, predator claws can tear through weaker mobs fairly well.
However against HNMs you'll mostly be using the merit BPs for damage. Especially in kited fights. Fully merited Heavenly Strike can do a decent amount as a nuke. In endgame you'll also be a support healer for a lot of groups. Earthen ward and hastega are great tools for a melee party. It also is great for fights where you don't want people to be in attack range. Certain NMs are a cakewalk if you do a RNG/SMN/BLM set up.

demi

Post by demi » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:22 pm

Thank you for the detailed reply, that was fantastic information!
It sounds like a blast. Are the level 20 tuning fork fights implemented? I had done them such a long time ago on retail and all I remember was how hard my heart was pounding when I unlocked Garuda. (I also remember several soul-crushing defeats lol).

Volkaru

Post by Volkaru » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:23 pm

demi wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:22 pm
Thank you for the detailed reply, that was fantastic information!
It sounds like a blast. Are the level 20 tuning fork fights implemented? I had done them such a long time ago on retail and all I remember was how hard my heart was pounding when I unlocked Garuda. (I also remember several soul-crushing defeats lol).
Don't do the level 20 fights. Especially on a server that doesn't have HP warps. If you plan to main SMN you can use those mini forks as permanent warps to the cloisters. And some of them are in great spots for deep dungeons.
Just farm the fame for the prime fights, and have a 75 solo them for you.

MihkiMilli

Post by MihkiMilli » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:23 am

I'd be happy to help with prime avatar fights if you need. Just send a tell to Mihki.
A word on merited blood pacts - I don't think they work properly right now. I haven't managed to get Wind Blade to hit for more than a couple of hundred damage. Level 70 blood pacts are way, way better.

demi

Post by demi » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:45 pm

That's a very kind offer that I will remember! I unlocked Summoner but probably won't get around to actually playing it as I am focusing on getting Dragoon to be my first 75! I will prooooobably want to try at least a couple of the level 20 fights even though I know that prevents me from doing the tuning fork quest for future teleports to cloisters? But! When it comes down to doing the 75 fights, do I need to be in the fight as my Summoner? Even if it's level 1/10/whatever? Or could I bring myself as DRG to contribute to the battle?

Thank you so much!

Zuri

Post by Zuri » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:56 pm

I'm usually down to do a full round of prime avatar carries for anyone who's got the fame and the minifork warps. It's actually ok gil/hr with two characters if you're not waiting on people to run. Just send me a tell or DM me on discord.
I will prooooobably want to try at least a couple of the level 20 fights even though I know that prevents me from doing the tuning fork quest for future teleports to cloisters? But! When it comes down to doing the 75 fights, do I need to be in the fight as my Summoner? Even if it's level 1/10/whatever? Or could I bring myself as DRG to contribute to the battle?
Miniforks you must do on Summoner and they're capped at 20. Primes are uncapped and you can enter on any job if you run to the cloister, but you'll need to be on Summoner (20+ with appropriate fame) to utilize the free warp. I strongly suggest NOT completing the minifork quests. You're permanently giving up a lot of mobility by doing so, and you'll want to fight every avatar at least twice more for Evoker's Ring and Fenrir.

demi

Post by demi » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:39 pm

That's great advice! Thank you both for offers for assistance: I would love to take you up on it sometime for fun and profit! I'll miss the sense of accomplishment from the mini-avatar fights, but I guess I can be happy enough with my victories on retail so many years ago and enjoy the luxuries of the teleports on Eden.

See you in-game!

Wade

Post by Wade » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:20 am

Planning to unlock and main summoner in the next few days. It's awesome that players are willing to help out in this way. I've been dreading lvls 1-20 with just carbuncle.