The Beast Within - a guide to Blue Mage

Moderator: Moderator

Techstephen

The Beast Within - a guide to Blue Mage

Post by Techstephen » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:23 am

EDIT: I agree that this guide, while it's a good reference, it's revolved around the 99 cap so please keep that in mind if you intend to use it.

https://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/3062 ... blue-mage/

This is one of the best guides I have found for Blue Mage. It has lv99 stuff but you can just ignore stuff over lv75.
Last edited by Techstephen on Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kopelin

Re: The Beast Within - a guide to Blue Mage

Post by Kopelin » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:30 pm

So it's been about a decade since I played retail and I remember being highly intrigued by BLU. This time around I'm planning on actually making an attempt at maining it or at least taking it to 75.

That being said, I play with a group of friends and we plan on partying together through it all. Is BLU capable in a party? I always remember being told they were meant for solo play. But, your guide shows tanking and healing capability so I'm assuming they're viable in a party, correct?

Jimmayus

Post by Jimmayus » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:59 pm

That guide really revolves around 99 cap so don't really utilize it too much, I would recommend looking at the guides on encyclopedia and date ranging them for era. To answer your question more directly: BLU/WHM is a perfectly capable healer in this era. For exp parties I'd say in terms of raw healing effectiveness you're better than a SMN and worse than a RDM or WHM. BLU/WHM's primary advantages are that you get frightful roar and auto-refresh over rdm, but obviously you don't have your own refresh and no haste. That puts you at "perfectly adequate as a healer". I would not use a BLU/WHM for healing unless you had those other bases covered.

BLU tanking in this era for parties is basically viable in the dunes and then for non-exp content at 75. In the dunes you have the same gear as other melee including paladin, cocoon and pollen, not to mention bludgeon later which makes you pretty great. At 75 you have Utsusemi: Ni and a good variety of CE and VE producing spells to tank without needing /war. In between those as a tank since you'll rely on provoke you're basically a paladin who has more mp and gets hit harder. So yeah BLUs are perfectly good tanks low and high level for non-exp content, but I would not look for them to tank before then reliably.

Kopelin

Post by Kopelin » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:05 pm

Damn, my whole hope was that BLU/NIN was a viable exp party tank once you had ichi.

Playing solely with a group of friends I hoped we could try and manage it but maybe not. At least you're giving me hope for once we hit 75.

Thanks for the plethora of info on the matter Jimmay!

Jimmayus

Post by Jimmayus » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:21 pm

BLU as a tank's problem is basically the same problem every /nin job has: even if you have a threat move (provoke, jettatura, even lollastresort) you don't really have a good way of mitigating damage in the same way a nin or paladin does. Then, when you finally get :ni at 74 nobody is going to be looking for a traditional exp party setup in favor of various types of burn parties.

On the plus side: BLU has multiple methods of meriting which is pretty fun. They fit decently into a melee burn party, into a pudding party (manaburn generall, esp. with diffusion + memento mori or the flan one) or even soloing on imps.

Techstephen

Post by Techstephen » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:19 pm

BLUs are good at merit partys as well because they can oneshot a greater colibri with a self skillchain/MB. They can do that once every few mobs (whenever chain affinity is off CD).