What is level sync? An overview

Post about recruitment, items for sale, game mechanics, et cetera.

Moderator: Moderator

GrayRail

What is level sync? An overview

Post by GrayRail » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:06 pm

We didn't have level sync when I played. I kept seeing it in/yell, so I looked it up.

Here was the best overview that I found. Enjoy!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 1715862776

Friendjack

Re: What is level sync? An overview

Post by Friendjack » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:22 am

Too bad it’s wrong about 4 paragraphs in where it talks gear sync.

40degrees

Post by 40degrees » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:50 am

Nice article....seeing this in action explains level sync fairly well.
SO what are they menu choices/keyboard strokes needed, to add level sync to a party?
Does level sync have a timer?

EDIT:
The how to enable was explained to me, in game.
The Party Leader goes to Party> Level Sync.
Then the party members get a warning.

Then to remove, the party leader does the same thing again, and party members get another warning,

For new campers, if you are normally at 400HP, and the party level syncs, and you go down to a max of 270HP....
when the sync is removed, you could be at full health, 100% HP....but then the sync goes away, so now
you are only 270/400 HP. It will appear like you need some major healing.
Only usually a problem, if you are going to travel by yourself....chances are you are in an area where you
can deal with having only 270/400 HP.
Last edited by 40degrees on Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Corla

Post by Corla » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:30 am

Friendjack wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:22 am
No it isn't, that's how level sync worked. The only time your gear unequiped was in level capped areas, like BCNMs and things like Promies.

Our version of level sync is custom content, technically.

JowyBlight

Post by JowyBlight » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:01 pm

Corla wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:30 am
Friendjack wrote:
No it isn't, that's how level sync worked. The only time your gear unequiped was in level capped areas, like BCNMs and things like Promies.

Not correct, when level sync first came out you definitely didn't get to wear a leveled down version of your current gear, for months and months you had to keep different level gear sets.

gweivyth

Post by gweivyth » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:37 pm

JowyBlight wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:01 pm
Corla wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:30 am
Friendjack wrote:

Not correct, when level sync first came out you definitely didn't get to wear a leveled down version of your current gear, for months and months you had to keep different level gear sets.
According to the original patch notes gear always sync'd down.

https://ffxiclopedia.fandom.com/wiki/20 ... _You_Party!
Gweivyth.//
  • 75 WAR, MNK, PLD, THF, DRG, WHM
  • Bonecraft 100+2
  • Leathercraft 60
  • Clothcraft 82+2
New and need some friends? Join Skyward!

Friendjack

Post by Friendjack » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:21 pm

Right, but for sake of Eden mechanics, it doesn’t apply and so talking about it may spread misinformation. It’s super simple:

Sync designatee needs to be at least lvl 10
Your character is now the syncs level, all applicable level restrictions apply.
You earn exp as if you are that level.
30s cooldown after deactivation to a.) preclude abuse and b.) give you time to sweat when you’ve bitten off more than you can chew.
If sync designatee dies or outranges the group, sync won’t drop but you don’t get xp either.
If sync designatee zones, sync is dropped.
If you die while synced, xp loss is still based on actual lvl

Did I miss anything?

Empire

Post by Empire » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:58 pm

While staying true to era is important, there are some things for convenience sake in this busy modern world that make life easier and more enjoyable.

Level sync should have been in retail from day 1, but I guarantee it wasn't even thought of at that point. Having it in this server helps immensely as I do not have the time to play as much as I once did. I think I'm in the camp that gear syncing should be enabled, however I'm conflicted. The gear getting gimped to the point you would be better off with level appropriate gear wouldn't bother me in the least, as it's more about inventory space and convenience.

Thankfully this server has helped with that issue by enabling mog wardrobes. Gear turnover keeps the markets moving, and prevents hoarding. Unless there are a ton of crafters, it might be tougher for new players to find some pieces as they are stagnating in someone's bags just in case they need to sync. Then again, that might prevent over supply.

As you can see, I'm conflicted lol. Maybe someone else can weigh in.

And just for clarification, gear absolutely did sync immediately when SE introduced level sync as we know it. Only level capped areas before level sync was created did not sync gear.

Godmode

Post by Godmode » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:36 am

JowyBlight wrote:
The first version of "level sync" wasn't called level sync. It had a system where you could buy a gold world pass and players were given hats that they could equip to exp with each other. But the hat had some limitations on it. https://ffxiclopedia.fandom.com/wiki/Va ... nt_Program
Empire wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:58 pm
While staying true to era is important, there are some things for convenience sake in this busy modern world that make life easier and more enjoyable.
As much as I can see your mindset; Eden largely omits QoL improvements. I feel like when I start picking and choosing what goes into Eden outside of era content we become a custom content server. I try to keep the only deviations from retail here are clear ToAU content (ToAU expansion wasn't quite finished when WoTG was released), job balance, preventing unintended mechanics that SE didn't catch this era, or an extreme case of hardship. Gear scaling down to level is not one of those cases in my current opinion.

Empire

Post by Empire » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:55 am

Godmode wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:36 am
JowyBlight wrote:
The first version of "level sync" wasn't called level sync. It had a system where you could buy a gold world pass and players were given hats that they could equip to exp with each other. But the hat had some limitations on it. https://ffxiclopedia.fandom.com/wiki/Va ... nt_Program
Empire wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:58 pm
As much as I can see your mindset; Eden largely omits QoL improvements. I feel like when I start picking and choosing what goes into Eden outside of era content we become a custom content server. I try to keep the only deviations from retail here are clear ToAU content (ToAU expansion wasn't quite finished when WoTG was released), job balance, preventing unintended mechanics that SE didn't catch this era, or an extreme case of hardship. Gear scaling down to level is not one of those cases in my current opinion.
Yeah I understand completely. Do you consider level sync to be one of the few QoL improvements that you will keep? My concern is that it is one of the few features that improves the game immeasurably as it doesn't change anything except for allowing more people to group together (which is my favorite part of this game to begin with), and removing it would be make-or-break to a lot of people.

I'm here to enjoy your iteration of FFXI, and so far I'm enjoying it thoroughly, so the last thing I want to do is come off as telling you what to do. I see the "2008 version" of level sync, gear sync and all, as one of the few things absolutely worth having in-game to maximize potential grouping, but it's just my opinion and I guarantee there are plenty who disagree with me.

As long as you don't start popping out makeshift BCNM's as open world NMs, we're good lol