Player Transfer (not character)

Make respectful requests from the staff here. Please note that these will likely be on queue for a long time--especially custom requests like name changes that do not have formalized procedures. This is not a development forum or a forum for discussion.

Moderator: Moderator

Anillo

Player Transfer (not character)

Post by Anillo » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:25 pm

First off, I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find anything exactly like what I'm asking.

I realize your dev/GM team has been asked about character transfers from other private servers. I know this would be too much hassle. However I would like to know if there is anything that would be done to help a player transition to Eden server.

What I care about most are my job levels. I have read good things about Eden, and I am interested. However. I have a busy schedule irl and do not want to completely start from scratch. I don't mind farming new gear. I'll buy new spells. I don't care about my crafting levels. I can farm new gil, redo quests for utsu, sleepga, etc. One of the reasons I am asking about job levels is that seems like the least amount of work involved from an admin standpoint. compared to the other aspects that go into a character.

Would this even be considered? I can provide screenshots of any proof necessary to show the job levels I have on the other private server.

gweivyth

Re: Player Transfer (not character)

Post by gweivyth » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:59 am

We don't offer a service like this, no. Sorry.
Gweivyth.//
  • 75 WAR, MNK, PLD, THF, DRG, WHM
  • Bonecraft 100+2
  • Leathercraft 60
  • Clothcraft 82+2
New and need some friends? Join Skyward!

Anillo

Post by Anillo » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:15 pm

I don't mean this to sound rude, I'm just confused as to why this is the case. Can you clarify why this is the decision?

This server was in the works as a standalone private server before Kupo had ever announced they were shutting down. Once Kupo shut down, Eden admins made a decision to help Kupo players transition to a new private server. Honestly, this gives all Kupo players a major advantage over everyone else that has to start all over again from scratch.

Multiple members of Eden's team have talked poorly about Nasomi because of some mistakes he made. Early players on Nasomi got free relics and easy PCC before the argus timer was fixed, but the items were never taken away creating an unfair advantage to the vets. I don't really see how these scenarios are much different from what is happening here.

I guess what I'm asking is, if you're willing to transfer characters from only Kupo server and none others then how is that not an unfair advantage? I understand you can't import a character from another server without the cooperation of said server. It doesn't seem right to go the extra mile for Kupo players and tell everyone else they're shit out of luck though.

gweivyth

Post by gweivyth » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:14 pm

I've gone over this a lot of times in the past so some of it is going to come across as a little short and for that I apologize, I've just done this a bunch of times and am kind of down to the "bare bones" as far as rebuttals to these claims goes, so please don't read into my shortness as me being rude, I'm just trying to be as simplistic as possible in my explanation so that there isn't much left to interpretation.
Anillo wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:15 pm
I don't mean this to sound rude, I'm just confused as to why this is the case. Can you clarify why this is the decision?
It's not completely off the table forever and always, but there are very specific circumstances that Godmode has outlined in the past. Basically, whatever server we're "taking transfers" from would have to be completely shutting down the way that Kupo was, and the owner of that server would have to be willing to provide database information fully. On top of those requirements, the imported server would have to have the same set of values that Eden does, in that they did not provide players with early advantages. I'll extrapolate on this in a quote further in this post.
Anillo wrote:
This server was in the works as a standalone private server before Kupo had ever announced they were shutting down.
This is not totally true, but also not totally false. They were toying with the idea of starting a server, but decided to start much sooner than they had originally anticipated upon receiving news that Kupo was shutting down. Eden always had the Kupo characters from the very start, they were never two entirely different servers in that regard, so what you're asking is a bit different compared to what happened with Kupo.

The original Kupo team didn't actually complete code on or release any content beyond basic Sky gods. All of that was done after Godmode started writing for Kupo, which he started doing when it was handed off to Atom0s and Immortality. So basically anything that Kupo got after Icon and NorthernLights left was just Godmode anyway, there was really nobody else writing code for the server with any consistency except for him. That being said, Eden (at least to me) feels like a spiritual successor to Kupo. We took what Kupo was doing and ran with it. Godmode doesn't like it when I describe it this way, but this is just my opinion and he is welcomed to chime in and correct me if he wants.
Anillo wrote:
Multiple members of Eden's team have talked poorly about Nasomi because of some mistakes he made. Early players on Nasomi got free relics and easy PCC before the argus timer was fixed, but the items were never taken away creating an unfair advantage to the vets. I don't really see how these scenarios are much different from what is happening here.
I actually talked about this earlier in a reddit post, so I'm just going to link to that. I'd prefer if people didn't do that, but it's hard for me to be mad at them if they do because I myself was very vocal about the reasons that I originally left Nasomi. If you read more of my replies in that post you can get more background onto how my attitude has changed on that since I've jumped on staff at Eden.

But as far as early Kupo players having advantages, I'd venture to say Kupo had nothing but disadvantages. We had a piss-poor economy, a server that was in limbo for 3+ months while the owner was absent with no word to the players he left behind, and strictly less content in every way. We didn't make any drastic changes to the old content that Kupo had vs. what we have here on Eden. We basically just picked up where things left off.

The big changes on Eden have been ADDITIONAL content, not changes to old content we already had. So the only real advantage Kupo players have is more time spent working on their characters, which is something that should provide them with an advantage. (More time spent working = more reward.) Think of it in the same way that you saw the Japanese beta players in retail. They were around before you so they were more pimped out, but did that upset you? No, because they spent more time than you and that was OK. Sometimes I like to think of Kupo as a really awful beta test for what Eden would eventually become, if that makes any sense.
Anillo wrote:
I guess what I'm asking is, if you're willing to transfer characters from only Kupo server and none others then how is that not an unfair advantage? I understand you can't import a character from another server without the cooperation of said server. It doesn't seem right to go the extra mile for Kupo players and tell everyone else they're shit out of luck though.
I think I've pretty thoroughly covered this with the rest of this post, but I just wanted to get a little personal at the end here to really illustrate what it's been like coming from a players' perspective during the lifetime of this server's entire history, because I haven't always been server staff, I was just a normal player on Kupo. To say that I have an unfair advantage is honestly a little insulting, and I don't mean that as an attack, but I really just want you to understand why I (and maybe other Kupo players) feel this way, because we've been through a lot and people make these claims about us when they just simply are not true.

I've now spent two years working on my character, and during those two years I've almost lost all of my progress TWICE, had to put up with an absentee server owner who let the server deteriorate to the point of unplayability, and then after we thought things were going to go back to normal, had another upset where we thought our server was doomed. Godmode definitely did us a HUGE solid and saved the day, and for that I will always be appreciative, but he made damned sure that before he did that, we were not going to interfere with his vision for how he wanted his server to go, and since he played there himself, he knew exactly the struggles we had to go through and how we didn't really have "advantages" in any way.

Players who have only played on Eden have benefited greatly from having us old Kupo players around. Without us, new Eden players wouldn't have basically any gear or crafting items to buy on the auction house. Do you know how I know this? Because this is how it was on Kupo when we first started out. If you wanted something on Kupo you had to go out and farm it, nobody was selling anything and unless you knew a crafter personally, you just...went without it. And during the entire lifetime of that server, this basically never changed. It was always a struggle to get gear for everyone, top to bottom, which made new players not want to play there. The player base never really grew beyond 200 players, even when things were going great on Kupo, and I think this was a large part of that. On Eden, you can roll a character tomorrow, and by the time you hit the dunes you can at least probably buy a full set of basic gear off of the auction house for reasonably cheap, and reasonably quick just by selling your crystals and other basic spoils. On Kupo, you'd have to literally farm materials and then beg a crafter (if you could find one...) to make you stuff because the AH was bare. Not a lot of new players are going to jump through those absurd hoops, they'd just go play elsewhere and I get that.

On top of that, Eden-only players are further advantaged to have a home that isn't plagued with any of the problems and scares that we faced in terms of stability. Eden has been very stable and has such a dedicated team that they can feel comfortable that those same situations will never happen again. I'm really envious of that, so when I hear people talk about how we have all sorts of "advantages," and I look back on the experience that I had as a Kupo player, it just leaves me thinking "Seriously? All of this hard work and turmoil was NOT an advantage." I suppose that's why I put so much effort into posts like the one I'm making now. It does get under my skin and I think you could probably understand why now that you have this bit of context.

Edit: Well, I guess I didn't need the disclaimer at the top about this coming across as short. It's definitely not short. I hope you can understand where I'm coming from and maybe other people see this and understand as well. While I didn't really mean to unload on you like this, I've done this a lot of times and never really had the proper amount of time to "hash out" this post the way I wanted to, but I had some free time this afternoon and thought this might be a good place to really do that. Anyway, thanks for coming to my TED Talk, lol.
Gweivyth.//
  • Bonecraft 100+2
  • Leathercraft 60
  • Clothcraft 82+2

Anillo

Post by Anillo » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:52 pm

Thank you, that does help shed some light on this topic. I've been reading through forum after forum of people discussing Eden vs Nasomi and it just did not make sense to me why only Kupo characters got to transfer. The post I read, albeit brief, on the history of Eden and it's relation to Kupo painted a different picture in my head.

I don't know which side of the fence I'll end up on, but hopefully this thread at least helps others choose which server is best for them in the long run.

taru01

Post by taru01 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:07 pm

Wow; thanks for the history Gwei!

FWIW OP: I started around christmas break after randomly seeing an Eden streamer in twitch and decided to download the game. I just dinged lvl 70 yesterday. Back in retail days, i was also multi 75s/100 crafter etc etc.
Yes it's hard to start all over again but this server has at least level-sync enabled and many other QoL feature(wardrobe#1 access after reaching rank 3 is GODLIKE!) to make things abit easier to new/returning players. Yes, the game is HARD because it forces you to play with others to accomplish anything; i see ppl shout for LB1/LB2 on a daily basis whenever I login :lol: :lol: .
No time to play the game as much as before? Start a static crew that has same schedule as you. Since your a vet, you should have knowledge/experience to re-tackle everything.
Also, there are other private servers out there with custom/modified content. I think someone in ls chat was talking about other private servers that gives 3x more xp per mob etc etc if you want 'powerlevel' your way to 75 so you can do endgame stuff asap. There is no 'shortcut' in Eden.
This game/server is exactly as I remember it when I left retail decades ago: it rewards team work and patience.

GL on whatever server you decide to join~

Anillo

Post by Anillo » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:45 pm

Yeah, I know about the modified servers. I have no interest in those.

I'm not looking for a server with shortcuts either. Eden just seems to be much better coded than the server I'm already 75 on, which has 1x exp rates as well. I was just hoping to get to be able to at least keep some of my levels, while switching to a server with better coding. Besides, exp parties are much harder to find the time for than leveling a craft, or earning gil.

Gweivyth did, at the very least, persuade me to give Eden a try. It will be very tedious if I decide to stay and redo everything I just did, but I figured I should at least see what the server is like now that I know a bit more about the reasons why they took in Kupo players. I will say, so far it is very nice actually having a functional delivery box and trade command :lol:

gweivyth

Post by gweivyth » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:38 pm

Yeah dude I was definitely in the same spot you are right now myself 2 years ago. I left behind 75 BST with most of a completed Guttler, (had enough currency, needed the R/EX parts from Northlands) 75 THF, 75 BLM and 75 RDM.

It can be a little tedious doing things like missions again, but when I restarted on Kupo I just made the decision to not level the same jobs I'd already leveled before on retail or other servers since that's a bulk of what you end up doing day-to-day. (Except for THF cause it's a necessary evil if you want to spend a long time playing on a server, lol.) I've actually enjoyed my time doing CoP missions though, unlike the last two times I did it where they were easy as hell, this time I actually got to have what felt like an adventure. I was part of the team that tested the promy fights originally, and even with that inside scoop I STILL felt a sense of danger and excitement when I did my Promyvion fights, so that was super cool.

I will say that it was a lot smoother starting out the second time because I already had a good grasp on where to farm, what to farm, how to make gil, etc. Like obviously aside from all the crappy stuff I said about Kupo up above, at the very least my transition was eased because of my previous experience. You'll probably find yourself in the same boat once you get into the groove.

Let me know if you need a new player linkshell, it can be sort of lame to start out and be on your own. Skyward is a very friendly little squad and we're always around for new people starting out.
Gweivyth.//
  • Bonecraft 100+2
  • Leathercraft 60
  • Clothcraft 82+2

Caelic

Post by Caelic » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:22 pm

gweivyth wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:14 pm
But as far as early Kupo players having advantages, I'd venture to say Kupo had nothing but disadvantages. We had a piss-poor economy, a server that was in limbo for 3+ months while the owner was absent with no word to the players he left behind, and strictly less content in every way. We didn't make any drastic changes to the old content that Kupo had vs. what we have here on Eden. We basically just picked up where things left off.

The big changes on Eden have been ADDITIONAL content, not changes to old content we already had. So the only real advantage Kupo players have is more time spent working on their characters, which is something that should provide them with an advantage. (More time spent working = more reward.) Think of it in the same way that you saw the Japanese beta players in retail. They were around before you so they were more pimped out, but did that upset you? No, because they spent more time than you and that was OK. Sometimes I like to think of Kupo as a really awful beta test for what Eden would eventually become, if that makes any sense.
Gonna have to disagree. Kupo had a healthy economy. It wasn't hard to find EXP on Kupo either. True, Kupo had less content, but how is that a disadvantage?

You never addressed PCC. On Kupo it dropped from BCNM40 and the Kupo players who got them this way got to keep them. PCCs ran 200k-300k back then but now, months after Godmode suddenly removed it from BCNM40, newer players are looking at 2m+ and that's if they can even find a seller. What about instant warp scrolls? We had them for 7 CP back then... basically for free. Nowadays you have to spend 1.5k gil per warp which hurts newer players more than the Kupo players (who had free warps when they were new) because the Kupo players are already established and can throw the gil around.

t. Kupo player
A bird's trust is not in the branch.

Tectal

Post by Tectal » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:46 pm

Gwei - Wall of text
Caelic - YoU fOrGoT tHiS oNe ToPiC