Summoner Mini Fork QoL Suggestion

A place for the community to collaborate on the current and upcoming development of the server.

Moderator: Moderator

Raphtalia

Summoner Mini Fork QoL Suggestion

Post by Raphtalia » Sat May 11, 2019 12:23 am

Mini Fork fights are available on eden, but nobody dares do them, and people often warn each other not to because of how valuable the mini forks are for transportation.

Suggesting a Quality of life adjustment to not make them lost on completion of the mini fights, since they are very fun and challenging. I know its not era but it seems like it would be better for all summoners on the server to not have to choose between fork ports and doing the fights.

As things are (era accurate as it may be) anyone that knows better will keep the mini forks and anyone who doesnt know better will lament their decision to earn their avatars on their own once they realize what they lost.

Starby

Re: Summoner Mini Fork QoL Suggestion

Post by Starby » Sat May 11, 2019 12:58 am

Adding my two cents to say that I agree. Perhaps adding a moogle that can teleport the player to the cloisters next to the tuning fork npcs would be easier than redesigning how the mini-forks work?

Regardless, it sucks that lowbie summoners have to choose between having their avatars, or having a really nifty teleport item for the rest of their time on Eden.

Odeken

Post by Odeken » Sat May 11, 2019 1:02 am

I mostly agree that this is a good QOL change because new summoners get burned if they don't know to not use their forks. The fights are really fun and skipping them seems unfair for SMNs.

false132

Post by false132 » Sat May 11, 2019 5:53 am

I used my mini forks. Didn't get a chance to use any of the other avatars back during retail so I made sure I would this time. No regrets on it at all.

pan

Post by pan » Sun May 12, 2019 1:34 pm

I don't see why ppl value these teleports so highly, only real advantage is when you're collecting whispers for Fenrir/items for Evoker's Ring, but after that?
I also did all the mini fights on both my Lv20 SMNs even tho I had high level jobs already, no regrets at all.

Balahadara

Post by Balahadara » Tue May 14, 2019 11:52 am

The teleports are useful for things like getting to Ifrit's Cauldron quickly, and in effect act as a secondary set of Outpost warps (though they require an extra couple of steps to utilize them). Currently the strange situation we find ourselves in is that the job that provides the use of these tuning forks is pretty heavily penalized if they use them for their intended purpose (to unlock their own avatars).

In retail, the level 20 trial-sized-trial-by-<element> is pretty much a rite of passage as a summoner. You doink around with Carbuncle until 20 and then you figure out how well you know how to play your job by putting the little ferret into a death match with a god. You win or you lose, and then you get the fork back for warp purposes, but most importantly now you're unlocking more bits of your job by using your job. It's fun, feels good when you win, and lets you feel like you can advance the job on its own.

In era, the tuning forks being unavailable after you complete the trial-sized-trial now means you're looking at climbing to 50+ as a SMN using only Carbuncle (so that you can then either party for the Prime Avatars or, at 70+, solo them with Carbuncle) or you're looking at setting SMN down and not touching it until you have a 50/70+ job to unlock bits of the SMN job. Or paying someone a large sum of money to run you through it/find a very high level friend to do it for free. Or, accepting that you're going to lose out on fairly valuable reusable warping items in order to advance your job, which is not something any other job has to deal with.

It's a small QoL change that means a world of difference when it comes to making the Summoner job feel dynamic and independently valuable instead of a shelf job for a rainy day at max level.

BengtJonssonJr

Post by BengtJonssonJr » Wed May 15, 2019 7:18 pm

No other job has to deal with it because no other job has the choice to ever get extra op warps.

pan

Post by pan » Thu May 16, 2019 3:19 pm

Balahadara wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 11:52 am
The teleports are useful for things like getting to Ifrit's Cauldron quickly
I don't see how it makes a difference if you run to Kazham to get telported to IC, or just go to IC directly. Only 'advantage' by these teleports is when you're regulary going to Fei'yin for some reason.

Raphtalia

Post by Raphtalia » Fri May 17, 2019 4:32 am

pan wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 3:19 pm
Balahadara wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 11:52 am
The teleports are useful for things like getting to Ifrit's Cauldron quickly
I don't see how it makes a difference if you run to Kazham to get telported to IC, or just go to IC directly. Only 'advantage' by these teleports is when you're regulary going to Fei'yin for some reason.
Depending on where you want to be inside ifrits cauldron, and again, this is a thing where the class that uses these to unlock class features loses the warp, but other classes can get these and use them to warp. It makes no sense that only summoners who do the trial fights lose a warp, no matter how much you think they have little value.

Virden

Post by Virden » Sun May 19, 2019 11:12 pm

To me, it seems like being able to use the Mini-forks as a means for warping was unintentional by SE. Intention aside however, it was era to have the mini-forks consumed if you choose to do them that way. Unlock the avatars at 20, or be able to warp around after beating the primes. This seems like a fair trade-off since its such a unique ability that only SMN can utilize, so I say no especially with all the other things in need of the dev teams attention.

I have not leveled SMN on Eden, but on Nasomi I just shouted around til I found someone willing to help with them. Bonus if its a 75 SMN who can warp there with you :p