Multiple PC's in 1 house Family play issue

Having a technical problem? Post in here and we'll try to help.

Moderator: Moderator

Drinar

Re: Multiple PC's in 1 house Family play issue

Post by Drinar » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:57 pm

I have a similar situation, but have not had a problem (yet!) with logging in multiple computers. My wife and I met playing FFXI, so of course our son wants to play. I have noticed when I start the game, it shows my computer name. I'm guessing that's how they know I'm not tri-boxing. My questions are: Does this affect the number of characters I can create? Like can my wife, my son and I only have 1 character each, so we don't go over the 3 chars limit? Or can we all have 3 chars? Can one be dual-boxing if the others are on? Just looking for some clarification on this, so we don't get booted.

Aiko

Post by Aiko » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:00 am

I believe each one of you would be able to do 3 characters each as long as you follow the guidelines to that, I however would not recommend auto-following the family around because if people start seeing 5 characters following 1, some questions will probably come about.

Mozzy

Post by Mozzy » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:48 am

Drinar wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:57 pm
I have a similar situation, but have not had a problem (yet!) with logging in multiple computers. My wife and I met playing FFXI, so of course our son wants to play. I have noticed when I start the game, it shows my computer name. I'm guessing that's how they know I'm not tri-boxing. My questions are: Does this affect the number of characters I can create? Like can my wife, my son and I only have 1 character each, so we don't go over the 3 chars limit? Or can we all have 3 chars? Can one be dual-boxing if the others are on? Just looking for some clarification on this, so we don't get booted.
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=66

Rule 3 says you're fine. I'm honestly not sure if computer name is sent to the server, don't see why it would. There's other ways of telling which accounts are coming from which computer.
Aiko wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:00 am
I believe each one of you would be able to do 3 characters each as long as you follow the guidelines to that, I however would not recommend auto-following the family around because if people start seeing 5 characters following 1, some questions will probably come about.
That situation has come up before, and iirc the suspected individuals were jailed for a bit, but it was sorted out.

Tapeworm

Post by Tapeworm » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:31 pm

Since there is no logic built in to block more than 3 logins from a household, and it appears to be policed randomly and manually...

You could make a family of 3 voice verify on Discord. Hear all of them speak through the same mic, and a GM could set a variable that states how many players are in their household. If you wanted to go further, you could make them verify each char, and set a variable to state it belongs to player 1, player 2, and player 3. That would prevent 1 person from having 5 acct on while a spouse or child only has 1. You could then have Godmode create a page to show all verified players/chars for a Gm to check against. If they arent on the list, bring the hammer down. If they are on the list, they took the time to get verified, and I hope they have fun.

Before you say "too much work, GMs are busy". Its really not. Would take about 5 mins to set up the page, which could pull variables and auto-update from the DB. Adding a variable by a GM takes 5 seconds. 10 if they type slow. With extremely minimal work to get it up and working, every GM could see the same page which shows who has been verified and able to have more than the max limit per IP.

If a family chooses not to do that, then woo, 1 char each for a family of 3, with only 2 in the field. It's a PC game, so everyone has access to Discord to voice verify. No headset? I'd be shocked if you dont have a cell phone.

Just a thought as I know other servers with restrictions do this. Having to get a VPN and chance ban due to the possible use of the same one as an unfavorable player... just silly.

Drinar

Post by Drinar » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:53 pm

Thanks for the info guys! I really hadn't planed on dual-boxing in party, but I could see how having multiple chars following one would definitely look suspicious. I was more concerned with having 3 (1 each) of us active in a party.

Motanon

Post by Motanon » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:10 am

Drinar wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:53 pm
Thanks for the info guys! I really hadn't planed on dual-boxing in party, but I could see how having multiple chars following one would definitely look suspicious. I was more concerned with having 3 (1 each) of us active in a party.
That was exactly our problem. Me, the wife, and the boy all playing at the same time. What I've learned is that you need to wait for about 3 minutes between logins from computer behind the same router. I have tried 4 different routers at the home consumer scale, a cisco, and a palo alto to run routing and all have the same problem in that if we all login at the same time someone will see the other players screen. Sometimes the 3rd person logging in after 2 of us are already logged in will also hijack another players session. Our solution was to just get VPN's and we each login from the VPN. I know people are paranoid about getting banned but I'll run the risk since we all want to play together.

Mozzy

Post by Mozzy » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:19 pm

Motanon wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:10 am
Drinar wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:53 pm
That was exactly our problem. Me, the wife, and the boy all playing at the same time. What I've learned is that you need to wait for about 3 minutes between logins from computer behind the same router. I have tried 4 different routers at the home consumer scale, a cisco, and a palo alto to run routing and all have the same problem in that if we all login at the same time someone will see the other players screen. Sometimes the 3rd person logging in after 2 of us are already logged in will also hijack another players session. Our solution was to just get VPN's and we each login from the VPN. I know people are paranoid about getting banned but I'll run the risk since we all want to play together.
Shouldn't have to wait 3 minutes really. Just 1 at a time. Once the character is fully logged in you should be good to start the login for another char.

Rori

Post by Rori » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:41 pm

The most likely cause of issues is the janky way DSPs login server works. If multiple people (even on different computers) try to login at the same time, DSP just does weird and stupid things.

You shouldn't have an issue if you just take an extra minute and log in one character at a time (wait for them to fully load into the game before logging the next character in).