Guide: Configuring Eden for use with Steam Link

Post about recruitment, items for sale, game mechanics, et cetera.

Moderator: Moderator

Braxton

Guide: Configuring Eden for use with Steam Link

Post by Braxton » Thu May 23, 2019 10:05 pm

Valve released the Steam Link app for iOS and tvOS this past week, in addition to the Android and Samsung TV apps that already exist, and the now-discontinued Steam Link hardware that everyone was picking up last year for $2.50. I figured now is a good time to write up how I got Eden working with my Steam Link, and how I’ve been spending my lunch break at work fishing in Bastok. I was a PS2 and Xbox 360 player back during RoZ, CoP, and ToAU, so this is close to my ideal way to play.

I have tested this setup using the Steam Link hardware, Steam Link for iOS, and Steam Link for Apple TV. I have not tested this setup with Android or the Samsung TV app, but it should work.

Obviously, you will need the Steam desktop client and at least one of the options listed above. If you want to play on Eden remotely from outside your home network, you will need to opt-in to the Steam beta version.

Steam setup

(Optional) - Enroll in the Steam Beta. You can skip this step if you do not intend to play Eden outside of your own network. Launch Steam. Click Steam in the upper-left corner, and click Settings. Under Account, within the Beta participation section, click Change and select Steam Beta Update from the dropdown. Relaunch Steam. This will enable Remote Play when you are connected to networks other than your own.

Add Eden to Steam. Click Games in the top-left menu, and click Add non-Steam game. There will be a new prompt with a list of applications installed on your PC. Select Browse and navigate to your Eden installation directory. Find your Ashita.exe icon and select Open. This will send you back to the application list with Ashita selected. Click Add Selected Programs.

Modifying the Steam entry. Find the Ashita entry that should now appear in your Steam Library. Right click and select Properties. I changed my shortcut name to Final Fantasy XI Online so I can pretend it’s legit. But, the important part is the Target field. It should show the file path for the game. Mine is C:\Eden FFXI\Ashita\Ashita.exe. Add a space after the quotations and include the following, with quotes: “<your path>/Ashita/ffxi-bootmod/pol.exe"

This step is important. This is the step that tells Steam to transfer control from Ashita, to FFXI itself. This will allow the game to run with the Steam Community overlay, and therefore function just like any other Steam game would.

Ashita setup

I have posted screenshots below of my Ashita settings. I strongly recommend making profiles for each character that automatically log in so you don’t have to type in your information every time you launch on your TV or mobile device.

The most important setting to enable is Unhook Mouse.
I strongly suggest setting your Menu Size to 1280x720 for the best experience. Any smaller and it will be extremely difficult to read from your couch or on a tablet/phone.
Additionally, select Close Launcher on Boot to prevent Steam from giving control back to Ashita when you exit FFXI.

Closing

That’s really all there is to it. You can download the Steam Link app and begin using remote play by following all of the prompts Valve has built in. On iPad and iPhone you will be required to use a MiFi or Steam Controller. On the Steam Link, you can use pretty much any controller you’d like.

Let me know if there are any questions or issues.

Wade

Re: Guide: Configuring Eden for use with Steam Link

Post by Wade » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:59 pm

This might be an issue with the Android client, but I could not get this to work with my phone. I ran into several issues:
  • When Ashita Launches, the mouse does not work. I cannot click to launch any of my Ashita Profiles; as if the mouse does not work with the Ashita overlay.
Instead of giving up I did a little workaround by pointing the "Set Launch Options..." at my Saved Ashita Config. I made a profile named SteamLink in Ashita and entered this into the Set Launch Options Field: --config="C:\Program Files (x86)\PlayOnline\Ashita\Config\Boot\SteamLink.xml"

The result: when Steam launches FFXI it immediately launches POL with the profile I created, eliminating my need to click on the Ashita Profile, Success!
  • However; FFXI launches without the Steam overlay. Steam immediately pushes it to the background and I'm back at the Steam launch page. I can alt-tab over to FFXI but again the mouse does not work. Picture Attached.

This is what I have in the Target field of Steam:
  • "C:\Program Files (x86)\PlayOnline\Ashita\Ashita.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\PlayOnline\Ashita\ffxi-bootmod\pol.exe"
Not sure where to go from here. Kind of a bummer because I was hoping to be able to fill my downtime with FFXI too.
Attachments
FFXISTEAMLINK.jpg
FFXISTEAMLINK.jpg (165.48 KiB) Viewed 298 times

atom0s
Site Admin

Post by atom0s » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:19 am

Pass Ashita the config file name you want to launch like this:

Code: Select all

D:\Ashita\Ashita.exe --config="D:\Ashita\Config\Boot\Eden1.xml"
You don't pass it the path to pol.exe as a command line argument, that is considered invalid. You can also use the command line launcher that comes with Ashita if you need to bypass the main UI launcher altogether.

Wade

Post by Wade » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:53 pm

As far as I can tell, this step does not transfer control from Ashita to FFXI. FFXI launches and gets forced into the background by Steam. Atom0s says not to pass it the path to pol.exe. I haven't tried the command line launcher yet but might to see if it makes a difference.

Braxton wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 10:05 pm
Modifying the Steam entry. Find the Ashita entry that should now appear in your Steam Library. Right click and select Properties. I changed my shortcut name to Final Fantasy XI Online so I can pretend it’s legit. But, the important part is the Target field. It should show the file path for the game. Mine is C:\Eden FFXI\Ashita\Ashita.exe. Add a space after the quotations and include the following, with quotes: “<your path>/Ashita/ffxi-bootmod/pol.exe"

This step is important. This is the step that tells Steam to transfer control from Ashita, to FFXI itself. This will allow the game to run with the Steam Community overlay, and therefore function just like any other Steam game would.

toobuku

Post by toobuku » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:04 pm

got this working but the mouse is very incorrect in terms of placement anyone figure out how to get it correct? :)