Dual boxing keyboard setup question

Post about recruitment, items for sale, game mechanics, et cetera.

Moderator: Moderator

sm_maelstrom

Dual boxing keyboard setup question

Post by sm_maelstrom » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:47 am

So, I've just started on Eden, and thought I'd give dual boxing a go. I just wanted to check if the following config was allowed (before I go ahead and write the AHK script)?

I have two instances of FFXI running on the same PC, with a client window running on different screens and a single keyboard. Instead of tabbing between windows, I have a AHK script setup with a modifier key, like ~ (for example), which when toggled on, sends all the keyboard keystrokes to one client, and when toggled off, sends all the keystrokes to the other client.

I saw Multisend / servo wasn't allowed, according to the server rules. So wanted to check if my method would be allowed.

Thanks.

imabee

Re: Dual boxing keyboard setup question

Post by imabee » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:38 pm

Have you (or anyone that wants to chime in) successfully used AHK with FFXI? I wasn't able to get it to work, but I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

Also curious to see if this is allowed because it'd make boxing a lot less tedious.

Aiko

Post by Aiko » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:07 pm

I would stay far away from this as it seems to me like it's very similar to the Healme! addon and I believe that is straight up disallowed on our server.

imabee

Post by imabee » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:24 pm

Aiko wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:07 pm
I would stay far away from this as it seems to me like it's very similar to the Healme! addon and I believe that is straight up disallowed on our server.
I think Healme! is a healing bot (fully automated and does packet 'stuff'). OP is looking for a way to send something like '/a cure playername' to the other window.

Mozzy

Post by Mozzy » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:42 pm

Considering this is the same thing as normal dboxing with something like FFXISwitchMon, just without the switching of active window. I see no reason why you would get in trouble for it. It still requires manual inputs to accomplish what you want the other char to accomplish, and you would still effectively lose control over the primary character. The only difference is active window doesn't change, and there wouldn't be a delay like there is with switchmon

sm_maelstrom

Post by sm_maelstrom » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:58 pm

Well, finally got around to writing the AHK script. I've only playtested it a couple of nights with low-level characters in the starter zone outside Windy, but it seems to work pretty well switching between windows.

The script and instructions on how to use it can be found here: https://github.com/ffxi-mods/Sublimation (yea, Sublimation like the Scholar spell, because state transitions).

Basically, it works by tabbing between FFXI windows with `Windows Key + Tab`, so if you play with just the keyboard (like it was the 2000's) it should feel pretty natural, once you get used to the hotkeys (sorry if you use a controller or Wine, it might not work so well).