Eden Fishing 101

Post about Eden, gameplay mechanics, your love of FFXI, whatever!
Veikuri

Re: Eden Fishing 101

Post by Veikuri » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:36 pm

Riphook wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:52 pm
My guide assumes you have the +4 fishing gear yes because it makes the "sweet spot" for skills up bigger.

As for the guide you linked? That is a skillup+lu shang guide which is hard to compare to the one I wrote which is purely for the fastest skill up possible. If you want lu shang and you're skilling up fishing at the same time from level 1, you can definitely give it a shot. At one point I did see a 25 gap in skill to fish, think it was at fishing 27 and he said to skill up off Gold Carp....that isn't going to be fun...that's a big skill difference....
I've taken my fishing to like level 2 on retail so I have no knowledge of fishing. Is it even possible to get skill ups on a 25 skill gap? I just don't want to hit 55-60 and be assed out because I don't have a Lu shang and didn't invest in one.

Riphook

Post by Riphook » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:29 pm

I believe 25 skill gap is the highest you can reel in iirc but as far as skilling up on a 25 skill gap, it's REALLY slow. I can only say that the lu shang + skill up guide recommends it because you need 10,000 carp and a .1 skill up every hour is better than none is the only mindset I can takeaway from that.

I recommened my guide, go to like 55 fishing, and then go farm your own moat carp/buy them. You will reel in moat carp as fast as a rusty item or you can fish bluetail which is worth 400g a pop to npc....either way following a lu shang + skill guide never made sense to me since it isn't as efficient in my eyes.

sprinkle

Post by sprinkle » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:04 pm

I never went "Pro" on retail fishing but did it on several chars / servers up to say 20 or so ( Thats alot for fishing ! )

always fished at knightwel l in ronfarue in beginning and always had the same results, assuming fishing with little worms 40% of catches were crayfish 20% were carp with low skill and the rest were monsters and various bad / terrible feelings, here it is 70% bad / terrible feelings and in 5 hours of fishing total i caught 3 carps and 0 crayfish

work on it

Riphook

Post by Riphook » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:23 pm

First of all Sprinkle I don't code for this server and have nothing to do with the development of the fishing system.
Second of all have more respect. Your "work on it" comment is extremely out of line and very rude.

mattyg

Post by mattyg » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:12 pm

sprinkle wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:04 pm
I never went "Pro" on retail fishing but did it on several chars / servers up to say 20 or so ( Thats alot for fishing ! )

always fished at knightwel l in ronfarue in beginning and always had the same results, assuming fishing with little worms 40% of catches were crayfish 20% were carp with low skill and the rest were monsters and various bad / terrible feelings, here it is 70% bad / terrible feelings and in 5 hours of fishing total i caught 3 carps and 0 crayfish

work on it
Bring hard evidence and it will likely get implemented more similar to how you "remember" it. Most of the fishing was built from memory and a few key websites that had TONS of fishing data. If you have video or screenshots of thousands of results, please show us.

Far_the_Killer
Developer

Post by Far_the_Killer » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:22 pm

mattyg wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:12 pm
sprinkle wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:04 pm

work on it
Bring hard evidence and it will likely get implemented more similar to how you "remember" it. Most of the fishing was built from memory and a few key websites that had TONS of fishing data. If you have video or screenshots of thousands of results, please show us.
I'd like to point out that the fishing system here is not the same one on DSP. Setzor spent 6 months and 100s of hours collecting data to make this current system and so any thoughts that it's implemented based on "memory" is false. If anything I'd say Sprinkle does not have enough data to back up this claim.

taru01

Post by taru01 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:41 pm

WOW; the audacity of some people just astonish me to no end :shock: :shock:
I do not fish in-game but Thank You very much for developing this fishing guide for people interested in it! More fish in the AH--> more awesome sushi foods for deerps :mrgreen: . I usually recommend fishing for new/returning player because it is a great source of income at early levels.

Hatberg

Post by Hatberg » Thu May 02, 2019 8:13 am

Regarding: Dark Bass//Shining Trout (Carpenter’s Landing, enter from Northern Sandoria)
Although it's fairly easy to get to, Dark Bass is a pure time sink, with no monetary gains. (Fish vendors for 20 gil).

If you have a high level job, you can do Blindfish in Oldton Movalpolis, using Insect Paste and Halcyon Rod.
Blindfish caps at 27, vendors for 227 gil and is a Guild Point item so can even auction from time to time.
Oldton Movalpolis mobs go up to 55, so won't bother a level 75.

Regarding: 72-80 Bastore Bream (Port Windurst)
It's almost impossible to target Bastore Bream reliably and the bite rate is bad. This should probably be removed from the list.

Since Gavial Fish caps at 81, you could reliably skillup on it until 77 instead. The downside is that it doesn't stack and is a 10 minute walk from North Gustaberg outpost, so it requires a maxed out Gobbiebag. The upside is that it's a Guild Item fish and is required by high level Bonecrafters, or if you just need to dump them fast they vendor for 500 gil each.

Regarding: 80-82 Gigant Squid (Qufim)
Terrible bite rate, and bait/lure is shared with Cone Calamary, which means you cannot effectively target this fish. Would not suggest for skillups.

With a Lu Shang rod I was able to catch and skillup on Black Sole starting at 75 (after Tavnazian Goby cap), albeit slowly at the start. Personally I just brute-forced on Black Sole as it is steady income.
[INACTIVE]

sprinkle

Post by sprinkle » Fri May 03, 2019 3:58 pm

Fished for multiple days in ronfarue, after buying hume rod all the crayfish and carp bites go from bad feeling to good.

All i was saying is with a starter rod ( Yew / willow / bamboo ) carp and crayfish give bad feeling ( they should not )

a hume rod was never required to start fishing.

Also the item catches are more then double what they should be.

Riphook

Post by Riphook » Thu May 09, 2019 3:35 pm

Fishing is goofy at the moment. I would follow this guide roughly 1-55 and then get a lu shang to do 55+ on black sole...we need a patch to make fishing the way it should be again.