Guide for New Mandatory Launcher

A place for the community to collaborate on the current and upcoming development of the server.

Moderator: Moderator

40degrees

Guide for New Mandatory Launcher

Post by 40degrees » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:25 pm

On the main page there is this announcement:
New Eden launcher (will be mandatory use soon)
Posted On: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:13 pm by Godmode
Eden has a customized bootloader that is forked off xiloader that is optional now but will be mandatory in late July / early August. It is highly advised to try to integrate it with your installation ASAP to prevent interruption of gameplay. >>>>>
Click here to download <<<<<
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nniDsa ... UGuvz/view

If you are having trouble updating your launcher please visit our Discord server in the tech-support channel.

You can run it by itself to play on Eden but I suggest to use Ashita. Here are the instructions to add it to your previous install.
You may be warned when launching the program. This is a Windows precaution for downloaded files.
Move eden.exe to your Ashita ffxi-bootmod directory
The default folder for this is \\Program Files (x86)\PlayOnline\Ashita\ffxi-bootmod
DO NOT rename edenxi.exe or it will not work
Open your Ashita configuration but right clicking a profile and then clicking "Edit configuration"
In the File section you will see something like .\\ffxi-bootmod\\pol.exe
Ensure that this is changed to .\\ffxi-bootmod\\edenxi.exe
Command can include a --user {username} --pass {password} replacing {username} and {password} with your actual username and password so that you can automatically login. However, you don't need anything else in this line to connect to Eden.

I don't care to use Discord for technical advise, because 1-someone has probably already asked about this topic and already received help, and the instructions are in there somewhere, but difficult to find. 2-Because it was already discussed, someone else in Discord will mention it has already been discussed, and will not be as willing to help, because it is probably the 100th time they have helped, and they are getting a headache. I don't blame them! 100 people all needing the same answer must be tiresome.

Would it be possible to give STEP BY STEP instructions on how to add the new launcher, or update your current launcher?
Such as this direction:
"Move eden.exe to your Ashita ffxi-bootmod directory". I have a problem with that, per I seem to have two bootmod directories. And the instructions also say to not rename eden.exe....except when I look for eden.exe, it is not named eden.exe, so that might be too late.

Yes, step by step instructions are needed, with answers for all scenarios.
Please do not blame me for not instinctively knowing all the answers> It would be more helpful, if you cannot provide support, to please open your own separate topic to complain about how people do not know everything. Thank you all for any support provided.

40degrees

Re: Guide for New Mandatory Launcher

Post by 40degrees » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:38 pm

I already checked my Ashita launcher....
and of course I have a file that displays as " .\\ffxi-bootmod\\pol.exe"
Can I just type in the new file name?
Just go to that configuration, and type in ".\\ffxi-bootmod\\edenxi.exe" ??

Aiko

Post by Aiko » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:21 am

Pretty sure you can 40deg. But I still recommend hunting down your folder (after you've downloaded it and placed it in there), and clicking on it so you're 100% sure!!

Mozzy

Post by Mozzy » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:12 pm

40degrees wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:25 pm
On the main page there is this announcement:
New Eden launcher (will be mandatory use soon)
Posted On: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:13 pm by Godmode
Eden has a customized bootloader that is forked off xiloader that is optional now but will be mandatory in late July / early August. It is highly advised to try to integrate it with your installation ASAP to prevent interruption of gameplay. >>>>>
Click here to download <<<<<
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nniDsa ... UGuvz/view

If you are having trouble updating your launcher please visit our Discord server in the tech-support channel.

You can run it by itself to play on Eden but I suggest to use Ashita. Here are the instructions to add it to your previous install.
You may be warned when launching the program. This is a Windows precaution for downloaded files.
Move eden.exe to your Ashita ffxi-bootmod directory
The default folder for this is \\Program Files (x86)\PlayOnline\Ashita\ffxi-bootmod
DO NOT rename edenxi.exe or it will not work
Open your Ashita configuration but right clicking a profile and then clicking "Edit configuration"
In the File section you will see something like .\\ffxi-bootmod\\pol.exe
Ensure that this is changed to .\\ffxi-bootmod\\edenxi.exe
Command can include a --user {username} --pass {password} replacing {username} and {password} with your actual username and password so that you can automatically login. However, you don't need anything else in this line to connect to Eden.

I don't care to use Discord for technical advise, because 1-someone has probably already asked about this topic and already received help, and the instructions are in there somewhere, but difficult to find. 2-Because it was already discussed, someone else in Discord will mention it has already been discussed, and will not be as willing to help, because it is probably the 100th time they have helped, and they are getting a headache. I don't blame them! 100 people all needing the same answer must be tiresome.

Would it be possible to give STEP BY STEP instructions on how to add the new launcher, or update your current launcher?
Such as this direction:
"Move eden.exe to your Ashita ffxi-bootmod directory". I have a problem with that, per I seem to have two bootmod directories. And the instructions also say to not rename eden.exe....except when I look for eden.exe, it is not named eden.exe, so that might be too late.

Yes, step by step instructions are needed, with answers for all scenarios.
Please do not blame me for not instinctively knowing all the answers> It would be more helpful, if you cannot provide support, to please open your own separate topic to complain about how people do not know everything. Thank you all for any support provided.
Hi, I'm one of those people that helps constantly in the #tech-support channel and you're correct, people do ask a lot of the same questions that have already been answered and could be found with a simple search. In this case so long as you used the eden installer, the instructions given are exactly what you need to follow. If you've made changes to your eden install, then obviously those instructions may not be completely valid for you but a how-to would not answer that either since only you would know the changes you have made. In your specific case, you should only have 1 bootmod directory in your Ashita folder as my picture lists below. (which is the default ashita layout that I use to help people with ashita issues. I have made 0 changes to it)

When it says not to rename edenxi, that's because when you download the file in the link it is already called edenxi.exe. You're then (as the steps say), supposed to take that file and move it to the ffxi-bootmod folder inside your Ashita folder. The following steps direct you to change your ashita configuration so that it is targeting the proper eden bootmod, instead of the default DSP bootmod.

I have 2324 posts in the #tech-support channel (obviously not every single post is me helping someone, but the vast majority are)
The only time I get frustrated is when someone either doesn't tell me what changes they've made to their install (even something as simple as changing where the eden install is or resolution changes they've made is important) or when they don't follow the instructions I gave until sometimes several hours later into the troubleshooting, at which point what I told them to do originally fixes their issue. People don't search for answers on forums or discord btw, which is why I'm working on a FAQ for tech support. Hopefully I can convince staff to have a bot that will auto-respond to people's first post in the tech support channel with a link to it, when I'm done with it.